Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Readsday 5/22 (the ALL-VIRGINIA edition)

Ahh, poor Readsday. You are my spaniel; the more I beat you, the more you fawn on me, even as I spurn you, neglect you, lose you, don't update for weeks....well, this one'll be short, anyway.

What did you just finish reading?
As you might have guessed from all the quotes, I'm still reading Hermione Lee's biography of Virginia Woolf -- it is AMAZING, certainly the best book I've read all year, one of the best books I've read ever. I have about two hundred pages to go before the notes and index -- I've been really taking my time, savoring and enjoying. My latest status update was something like "I am just so in love with this book." I cherish it as if it were a person. I can't really talk about it now without sounding incredibly gushy and soppy, but MY GOD, what a book. I haven't been reading anything else, and I've been reading it pretty slowly, really taking it in. I've already reread the chapters on Katherine Mansfield and Virginia's reading habits -- I read them even before starting the book.

What are you reading now?
SEE ABOVE.

What do you expect to read next?
MORE HERMIONE ON VIRGINIA.