Sunday, September 21, 2014

notes on Watchmen (2009) (yes I am always this behind on _all_ pop culture)

- Rorscharch is my favourite and he is perfect
- the Comedian is perfect and I hate him so we had to watch the part where he gets flung through the window several times
- that is still one of the best opening credit sequences ever, we also had to watch that part several times
- at first I thought Billy Crudup was a disaster as Dr Manhattan but he really won me over with his extended flashback....flashforward....flashthing, which is my favourite part in the book
- Is Matthew Goode attempting an Austrian accent? That is....unfortunate. Why does it keep flickering on and off, like a badly connected lightbulb?
- boy, women really have no agency in this, do they, other than fucking guys
- as usual, I adore Silhouette and want HER story. No dice, she's not driven by male agency. BYE, SILHOUETTE
- "this IS the American Dream!!!" ...no, this isn't heavy-handed at all
- first I thought Jeffrey Dean Morgan was Robert Downey Jr., then I thought he was Nicolas Cage. Whoops
- Nite Owl II looks to be about thirty
- I don't know the actors well enough to watch that sex scene
- I don't think the poor actors know themselves well enough to watch that sex scene
- Malin Åkerman could not give an impression of a block of wood if she were a tree. And why are the blondies getting bad dye jobs and all the brunette parts?
- Carla Gugino (who is a year YOUNGER than me) being required to say "I'm sixty-seven" really is one of the more striking examples of sexist ageism in modern film
- all the historical figures are completely unconvincing
- they kept all my favourite Rorscharch scenes so I honestly don't give a shit about much of anything else
- kept thinking Patrick Wilson was Eric Bana, then I thought he was Nicholas Hoult. Whoops no. Again.
- all you people bitching about how it was "too faithful and confined by the source" can go watch some OTHER FUCKING MOVIE, like The Dark Knight Begins His Past Future or another goddamn "reboot"
- I did actually sort of miss the giant mutant alien squid, but without the comic book interweaving through the story, it makes no sense. BUT the 9/11 references when Manhattan blows up were actually kind of really fucking upsetting.
- true to my perverse fannish nature, this was the faithful adaptation with changes everyone else hated (that second-week box office dropoff, ouch) which I adored because --
- Rorscharch is my favourite and he is perfect. The end.

No, really. See, everyone who always rags on me for being a perfectionist bitch? I'm just that easy to please.