Tuesday, April 15, 2014

has Kakutani really not read a Faulkner bio?

After a dear friend sent me Mona Simpson's Casebook and I was rummaging around on the internet for reviews (LOVED Anywhere But Here, heard her read from the then-just-published The Lost Father at Prairie Lights, haven't liked anything she's done since) I found Michiko Kakutani's review of A Regular Guy:
When she mentions one night that Shakespeare wasn't rich, he snaps back: ''Who remembers Shakespeare's daughter?'
For which the obvious reference is a much-quoted line by Jill Faulkner, Count No 'Count's daughter:
I went to him – the only time I ever did – and said, ‘Please don’t start drinking.’ And he was already well on his way, and he turned to me and said, ‘You know, no one remembers Shakespeare’s child.’ I never asked him again.
I would expect the famous book reviewer for, you know, the NEW YORK FUCKING TIMES to at least pick up the parallel, but I guess not. Maybe she ran out of review space.