Wednesday, January 1, 2014

top artists of 2013 (over 100 plays last 12 months, last.fm)

Songs: Ohia, 548 plays
Magnolia Electric Co., 426 plays

Dessa, 301 plays
Lou Reed, 288 plays
The Rolling Stones, 283 plays
Lisa Germano, 279 plays
Richard Thompson, 268 plays
Low, 263 plays
Morphine, 252 plays
The Raveonettes, 251 plays
Laura Marling, 223 plays
Robyn Hitchcock, 220 plays
Nick Drake, 217 plays
Wild Flag, 214 plays
David Bowie, 200 plays
Ane Brun, 200 plays

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, 197 plays
Florence + the Machine, 195 plays
The Decemberists, 192 plays
Juana Molina, 174 plays
Leonard Cohen, 172 plays
Neko Case, 167 plays
The Clash, 166 plays
The Jam, 166 plays
Nina Simone, 164 plays
Kristin Hersh, 154 plays
Andrew Bird, 153 plays
Joy Division, 152 plays
The Velvet Underground, 151 plays
Sarah Slean, 150 plays
Anaïs Mitchell, 150 plays
Tori Amos, 148 plays
The Pogues, 148 plays
Hole, 147 plays
Aimee Mann, 147 plays
PJ Harvey, 146 plays
Johnny Cash, 145 plays
Scout Niblett, 145 plays
The Cure, 143 plays
Regina Spektor 142 plays
Rilo Kiley 139 plays
Jill Tracy 137 plays
Mark Lanegan 135 plays
The Smiths, 133 plays
Arcade Fire, 129 plays
Metric, 127 plays
Calexico, 126 plays
Patti Smith, 124 plays
Sonic Youth, 121 plays
Throwing Muses, 120 plays
Lamb, 119 plays
Elliott Smith, 118 plays
Echo & the Bunnymen, 118 plays
Sleater-Kinney, 113 plays
Joan Osborne, 113 plays
Cat Power, 113 plays
Natacha Atlas, 113 plays
Rachel Sermanni, 113 plays
Morrissey, 110 plays
Grace Potter & The Nocturnals, 109 plays
The Replacements, 107 plays
Mia Doi Todd, 107 plays
Galaxie, 500 105 plays
The National, 104 plays
Jill Barber, 101 plays
Jesse Sykes & The Sweet Hereafter, 100 plays


It's interesting trying to figure out these playcounts (at least for me, and it's my blog, so). Songs: Ohia and Magnolia Electric Co. are oldtime favourites, but the increased plays were clearly due to Molina's death (dammit, Jason). Ditto Lou Reed and VU, altho I play them all the time too. Dessa had a new album out, as did The Raveonettes (sort of, late 2012?), Laura Marling, Lisa Germano, and Robyn Hitchcock (what you need to know here is if a new album from a favourite artist comes out, I PLAY IT TO DEATH) and....no, Wild Flag came out in 2011. Always behind the curve, that's me! (And Wiki says they broke up this year? FUCK). I fucking LOVED the new Low album. Really liked the new Gogol Bordello, too, even if it seemed a little more mainstreamed (this was also true of Janelle Monae and Juana Molina). Scout Niblett pops up with the best breakup album ever (yes that is including Fleetwood Mac), and....no, Mia Doi Todd was 2011, too. Hah. Most of the rest of this is pure "you can drag the girl out of the nineties, but...." Hah, squared.

I was apparently less than thrilled by the new offerings from Dropkick Murphys, New Order, My Bloody Valentine, and the Eels, which is kinda sad. I think I listened to the new Nick Cave several times but just wasn't that blown away. (If I don't PLAY IT TO DEATH, often I will turn up my nose at a new release and then rediscover it to everyone's annoyance much later, when I....PLAY IT TO DEATH, yeah, that's me.) The new BMRC was OK but what I fucking loved were the live KEXP performances, which are gorgeous and haunting. How to Destroy Angels should show more plays, unless that album's not on Spotify (I forget). I know I listened to that new Wire album, but you'd never guess it. I think I liked Iron & Wine but all their albums sound the same to me and send me peacefully to sleep, which also happens with Belle & Sebastian. Break It Yourself and Hands of Glory were both gorgeous, and, no, also both last year. I didn't discover Savages until like LAST WEEK, so I am sure they will be in heavy rotation for January 2014.

(Yes, I am scanning a "list of 2013 music albums" as I type, because my memory is for shit.)

The big soundtracks were Great Gatsby and Catching Fire but I wasn't knocked over by either one. (No, I am not counting the fucking Hobbit.) 12 Years a Slave was amazing, but I think nobody listened to it. Mogwai's re-recording of their Les Revenants music was great, especially "What Are They Doing in Heaven Today?" -- Damn, Neko Case sings "Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out" on Boardwalk Empire Vol 2? Must get that. Neko Case also covered Robyn Hitchcock on her new album, so that was fucking fabulous. Not sure how I feel about that new Mazzy Star album. I am avoiding Pearl Jam nowadays and that's working out fine for me. The National seems to be bottoming out, which is sad.

The Big No: the new Depeche Mode, Shaking the Habitual oh my god WHAT no, Mosquito was ehh and I just could not fucking listen to Reflektor, just couldn't. Ditto Yeezus. Daft Punk, NO. I....do not know what the fuck is up with all the hipsters drooling over Anxiety, but y'all are seriously fronting. And my God, I am just so tired of Bon Iver.

....yeah, apparently you can keep your Beyonce, Paul McCartney, and Robbie Williams (what was that about dragging the girl out of the nineties?....).


(Man, I don't know who any of these people are. God I'm so fucking old.)