Saturday, July 13, 2013

"untitled"

I am cycling through several titles a day. Titling a book has never been this excruciating before. Usually I pick a title - and then I am home with the book - can see through this book - can inhabit it - a title has to allow me to love it and inhabit it -  I guess it's like naming a child. Once Heroines became Heroines I knew what it was (and some have interpreted the title to be about the women I worship, admire, that's not what the book is about, it's about women who were characters, who see themselves as characters, it's also taken from a series of monologues by Claude Cahun.) I wanted a one-word title that was an abstract concept, kind of mirroring Bernhard (am rereading Concrete now, what permission Bernhard gives to the bilious a friend of mine just noted) - and mimicking Franzen's Freedom.

- Frances Farmer Is My Sister