Wednesday, September 25, 2013

reading....Wednesday! back on schedule, well, that's nice

What did you just finish reading?
Stephen King's Doctor Sleep, which was actually pretty damned good. I was one of the people who mocked and yelled when it was first announced, because I thought it couldn't help but suck, but it was well-written, the characterization was great, the plot hummed along like a 'Bago on cruise control (inside joke) and somehow King made the bits where one character catches up another character on what the fuck's been happening seem intriguing and suspenseful.  Steve, I'm so sorry I doubted you. ....But after Cell, Under the Dome, the Kennedy assassination cinderblock, and that endless Dork Tower crap, can you blame me? (Hmm maybe I'll pick up Joyland. Maybe.)
Also three out of four Dick Francis novels about Sid Halley, which were great, and Tracy Chevalier's Falling Angels, which was so terrible I kept looking at the page in disbelief, the way you stare at a loved one who is saying terrible things to you during an argument. How it was even published I do not know.

What are you reading now?
City of Thieves by David Benioff, which a dear friend gave me, because we are so fucking broke the next time I'll be able to buy a new book will be sometime in early 2014, looks like. It's already pretty great, two pages (or "percents") in: "My grandmother was always on the phone, selling. No one could resist her. She charmed them or she frightened them, and either way, they bought."

What do you expect to read next?
Maybe the Byatt, maybe some Pat Barker?, maybe some weird thing called Henry James' Midnight Song, maybe maybe. Some of the books in the virtual TBR pile:

Reinventing Bach, Paul Elie (looks fantastic)
Kicking and Dreaming, Ann and Nancy Wilson (YESSS Heart - my Seattle girls!)
My Education, Susan Choi
The Afterlife, Donald Antrim
Children of the Ghetto, Israel Zangwill
Ancient Rockets: Treasures and Trainwrecks of the Silent Screen, Kage Baker

....and so on, you get the picture.


ETA - City of Thieves was great, although I was pissed we never got Vika's story (she just...goes off to do dishes and is never heard from again? OK then) and the eternal laddishness of the dialogue got a bit wearying sometimes, but it was perfectly in character for adolescent boys and a good contrast to the epic horror surrounding them. The bit about Zoya's feet was kind of over the top (but again, reminiscent of fairytales - the red shoes!). But still, beautifully written, an amazing book.