Thursday, August 14, 2014

I NOW HAVE DAVID GUILLEM READING THE BOOK HE APPEARS IN I AM REALLY EXCITED

ahem (what do you want from me, my life is dull)


....NO FUCKIT I'M HONESTLY REALLY EXCITED


What better voice to deliver the dry, brooding, suspenseful story? Without melodrama, and without understatement either, he delivers the prose of the master spy novelist. A friend of mine who has watched the series and read the book several times tells me she never really, deeply understood the plot in all its intricacy until it was read aloud to her by Jayston.

I already checked on my favourite "positively seething with goodwill" moment and it is fabulous. (Jayston does different voices for each character, which is also fabulous. His Toby Esterhase just about made me fall out laughing.)

Sadly, no adaptation -- film, miniseries, audiobook, dramatization -- has ever managed to make me shiver the way just reading this one sentence on the page does: "'For God's sake,' Guillem whispered, 'let me sweat the bastard.'"