Tuesday, October 29, 2013

every day in every way, I am getting....

So much of therapy – most therapy – is built around deconstructing thinking that no longer serves us. I know this because I have been in therapy for almost two decades, and can therefore challenge almost any negative thought that I have with the “correct” thought; the one that would serve me better, if only it came to me naturally, or if I could internalize it. And yet this oh-so-familiar practice, which is also repeated in self-help books and personal development writing, seldom speaks of bringing such beliefs down from the intellectual mind to the depths of our (often) dark hearts. To know that I am a valuable human being, for example, is far easier to hold in my head than to internalize.

I doubt that I am the only one who feels this way. I’ve spoken to others who feel guilty because they continue to believe the “wrong” things. I know that I am not the only one who cannot hold a compliment and bring it to the marrow of my bones.

- Esme Wang