Monday, October 21, 2013

the passing tense

Walking the streets of New York City, I was amazed and baffled and somewhat horrified at the percentage of people strolling blithely along with their attention on their "mobile devices." At least a third, minimum, in any crowd, at any given time. When and how did this happen? And I had two thoughts that I paused to write down (pencil, paper): 

 ~ How can there be a future when all moments are compacted into the present? 

 ~ In a state of perpetual communication, how can there be reflection?

- Caitlin R. Kiernan


(This is one of the many reasons I don't have an iThing. Well, that and I'm broke. Probably mostly because I'm broke. But even were I not broke, shelling out $600+ for a shiny distraction device is....so not me.)

(Also I got endless shit from people while growing up for walking and reading at the same time! Now that's what EVERYONE is doing. Sort of.)