Sunday, October 27, 2013

this Halloween is something to be sure / especially to be here without you

Oh God, Lou, I will miss you so much.



(oh ghod, and all the news sites are talking about "Sweet Jane" and "Heroin" and "Walk on the Wild Side"? FUCK YOU, YOU IDIOTS)


Still, I have never thought of music as a challenge — you always figure, the audience is at least as smart as you are.  You do this because you like it, you think what you're making is beautiful.  And if you think it's beautiful, maybe they'll think it's beautiful.  When I did Metal Machine Music, New York Times critic John Rockwell said, "This is really challenging."  I never thought of it like that.  I thought of it like, "Wow, if you like guitars, this is pure guitar, from beginning to end, in all its variations.  And you're not stuck to one beat."  That's what I thought.  Not, "I'm going to challenge you to listen to something I made."....You make stuff because it's what you do and you love it.

- Lou on Kanye, July 2013