Friday, May 16, 2014

"I years had been from home," Emily Dickinson

I - Years - had been - from
Home -
And now - before the Door -
I dared not open - lest a
face
I never saw before

Stare vacant into mine -
And ask my Business there -
My Business - just a Life
I left -
Was such - + still dwelling there?

I fumbled at my nerve -
I scanned the Windows o'er -
The Silence - like an Ocean
rolled -
And + broke against my Ear -

I laughed a Wooden laugh -
That I - could fear a Door -
Who Danger - and the Dead -
had faced -
But never + shook - before

I fitted to the Latch - my
Hand -
With trembling Care -
Lest back the Awful Door
should spring -
And leave me - in the Floor -

I moved my fingers off, as
cautiously as Glass -
And held my Ears - and
like a Thief
+Stole - gasping - from the House.

+ fled     + Remaining there     +smote -
+ quaked -


About 1862, Fascicle 21 (H 181).

via