Sunday, December 8, 2013

he is pedantic, you nitpick, I am critically acute

Recently, I was at an event where Neil Armstrong’s son talked about his father’s many wonderful qualities and one bad one – it was very difficult to watch a sci fi movie with his dad. He would complain if one instrument was out of place on an aircraft’s panel. He objected to the catapulting of fighters off the Battlestar Galactica – it’s not like they have to build up airspeed to get aloft – why not just plop them out the door?


WAIT, THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO DON'T WATCH MOVIES LIKE THIS? BUT HOW DO THEY HAVE ANY FUN.

(Ask my husband how fun it was watching the goofball Ripper Street -- or as I called it, "CSI: Whitechapel" -- series with me, while I ranted about costuming choices and vocabulary constantly in the background. Go on! Ask him. I'm sure he'll be perfectly honest....)

(-- Why was I watching it at all? Well, due to the TITLE and all, I thought it was about, you know, JACK THE GODDAMN RIPPER, and mostly: Matthew Macfadyen and Jerome Flynn dressed up like this.)

(Wait wait WHAT, they killed it? Fuck, this is why I never fucking watch TV, it's like when I try to grow plants: I just kill them off. Poor sad Jerome Flynn. No more shirtless boxing scenes!)